viernes, 24 de mayo de 2013

MODAL VERBS. MAY / MIGHT



MAY – MIGHT

Name:_______________________________
Grade:_______________________________

Objectives: The students must be able to:
·         Recognize the difference between MAY and MIGHT.
·         Apply in context the modal verbs May and Might.

 Might
"Might" is most commonly used to express possibility. It is also often used in conditional sentences. English speakers can also use "might" to make suggestions or requests, although this is less common in American English.
Examples:
  • Your purse might be in the living room. possibility
  • If I didn't have to work, I might go with you. conditional
  • You might visit the botanical gardens during your visit. suggestion
  • Might I borrow your pen? request

Using "Might" in Present, Past, and Future

Most modal verbs behave quite irregularly in the past and the future. Study the chart below to learn how "might" behaves in different contexts.
Modal Use
Positive Forms
1. = Present   2. = Past   3. = Future
Negative Forms
1. = Present   2. = Past   3. = Future
You can also use:
might
possibility
1. She might be on the bus. I think her car is having problems.
2. She might have taken the bus. I'm not sure how she got to work.
3. She might take the bus to get home. I don't think Bill will be able to give her a ride.
1. She might not be on the bus. She might be walking home.
2. She might not have taken the bus. She might have walked home.
3. She might not take the bus. She might get a ride from Bill.
could,
may
might
conditional of may
1. If I entered the contest, I might actually win.
2. If I had entered the contest, I might actually have won.
3. If I entered the contest tomorrow, I might actually win. Unfortunately, I can't enter it.
1. Even if I entered the contest, I might not win.
2. Even if I had entered the contest, I might not have won.
3. Even if I entered the contest tomorrow, I might not win.
might
suggestion
1. NO PRESENT FORM
2. You might have tried the cheese cake.
3. You might try the cheesecake.
1. NO PRESENT FORM
2. PAST FORM UNCOMMON
3. You might not want to eat the cheese cake. It's very calorific.
could
might
request
(British form)
Might I have something to drink?
Might I borrow the stapler?
Requests usually refer to the near future.
 NEGATIVE FORMS UNCOMMON
could,
may,
can

REMEMBER: "Might not" vs. "Could not"
"Might not" suggests you do not know if something happens. "Could not" suggests that it is impossible for something to happen.
Examples:
  • Jack might not have the key. Maybe he does not have the key.
  • Jack could not have the key. It is impossible that he has the key.

May
"May" is most commonly used to express possibility. It can also be used to give or request permission, although this usage is becoming less common.
Examples:
  • Cheryl may be at home, or perhaps at work. possibility
  • Johnny, you may leave the table when you have finished your dinner. give permission
  • May I use your bathroom? request permission

Using "May" in Present, Past, and Future

Most modal verbs behave quite irregularly in the past and the future. Study the chart below to learn how "may" behaves in different contexts.
Modal Use
Positive Forms
1. = Present   2. = Past   3. = Future
Negative Forms
1. = Present   2. = Past   3. = Future
You can
also use:
may
possibility
1. Jack may be upset. I can't really tell if he is annoyed or tired.
2. Jack may have been upset. I couldn't really tell if he was annoyed or tired.
3. Jack may get upset if you don't tell him the truth.
1. Jack may not be upset. Perhaps he is tired.
2. Jack may not have been upset. Perhaps he was tired.
3. Jack may not get upset, even if you tell him the truth
might
may
give permission
1. You may leave the table now that you're finished with your dinner.
2. SHIFT TO "BE ALLOWED TO"
You were allowed to leave the table after you finished your dinner.
3. You may leave the table when you finish your dinner.
1. You may not leave the table. You're not finished with your dinner yet.
2. SHIFT TO "BE ALLOWED TO"
You were not allowed to leave the table because you hadn't finished your dinner.
3. You may not leave the table until you are finished with your dinner.
can
may
request permission
May I borrow your eraser?
May I make a phone call?
Requests usually refer to the near future.
NO NEGATIVE FORMS
can,
might
Summary
'May' is a modal auxiliary.
·         It does not take an  's' in the present tense.
·         The past tense or conditional is 'might'.
·         You use it like an auxiliary in the interrogative and negative forms:
1.      May I go out?  no, you may not.
·         It has no infinitive form.
·         It has no participle.

'May' is used to express :
·         Permission:
1.      May I go out Mum?
2.      You may eat some cake Jim.
·         Probability:
  1. He may come late.
  2. He may be on holidays.
·         Suggestion or reproach with 'might':
  1. He doesn't know what to do; he might ask Wendy.
  2. You might have done the washing-up !
·         Wish :
  1. May this year bring you happiness and health !
May/ might are sometimes used with a past participle :
  1. He might have been killed !
  2. He may have phoned while I was having a shower.

Choose the correct alternative. Use the right form of the verbs.

1) Take your umbrella as it __________________ today.
[ ]may rains
[ ]may rain
[ ]might rained

2) He is still at work ! He __________________ late I am afraid.
[ ]may comes
[ ]might came
[ ]may come

3) John couldn't repair his washing-machine; he __________________ his neighbour.
[ ]mights ask
[ ]may asked
[ ]might have asked

4) They talked too loudly, They __________________ the baby !
[ ]might have wake
[ ]might have woken
[ ]might has woke

5) Darling! I wonder if I __________________ you that marvellous car you saw yesterday ?
[ ]might offer
[ ]may offer
[ ]might offers

6) Mum ! My friends are having a party tonight ; __________________ please?
[ ]may I go
[ ]may I gone
[ ]may they go

7) Sweetheart ! As you were at home you __________________ the ironing, don't you think ?
[ ]may have done
[ ]might have do
[ ]might have done

8) Yes darling, but I was afraid I __________________ your marvellous shirt !
[ ]might have burnt
[ ]may burn
[ ]might burned

9) He __________________ late because his flight has been delayed.
[ ]might is
[ ]may been
[ ]may be

10) Look at those clouds ! It __________________ in a minute.
[ ]will may rain
[ ]may rain
[ ]mays rain












ANSWERS:

1. may rain
2. may come
3. might have asked
4. might have woken
5. might offer
6. may I go
7. might have done
8. might have burnt
9. may be
10. may rain

MAY – MIGHT QUIZ

Q1 - I was just wondering whether you ____ be able to help me.
may
might
Q2 - ____ God have mercy on your soul.
May
Might
Q3 - You ____ well be right.
may
might
Q4 - I told them I ____ go if I felt like it, but wasn't sure.
may
might
Q5 - Students ____ only borrow four books at a time.
may
might
Q6 - The examiner says we ____ leave when we've finished.
may
might
Q7 - It ____ be very expensive, but it's much better than the others.
may
might
Q8 - I just ____ accept your offer.
may
might
Q9 - You ____ try asking her for help- she knows her stuff.
may
might
Q10 - You ____ have told me earlier!
may
might


Solutions:
1:MIGHT 2:MAY 3:MAY 4:MIGHT 5:MAY 6:MAY 7:MAY 8:MIGHT 9:MIGHT 10:MIGHT

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario